[Bioperl-l] First commit of Bio::Structure objects

Ewan Birney birney@ebi.ac.uk
Sat, 17 Nov 2001 23:06:35 +0000 (GMT)

On Sat, 17 Nov 2001, Elia Stupka wrote:

> > unfortunately it's a bit trickier than that; it's a while since I thought
> > about all this (the last time I did it made my head hurt), but I'm pretty
> > sure that you have to also force the client code to explicitly free the
> > objects once they are no longer in use, a la C coding. This is a bit of a
> > burden for the potential users of your objects.
>
> Remember this headache from ensembl bidirectional hypothesis, yes, you
> definitely need the client to do it explicitly, very annoying, not on...

Yup, we can't go this route - having to call

  $object->DESTROY();

at the end of the loops is just not going ot happen.

The more I think about it, the more I reckon we just drop child--> parent
navigation (it is the easiest route...)