[Bioperl-l] Help using bioperl-db

Elia Stupka elia@fugu-sg.org
Sat, 10 Nov 2001 00:47:02 +0800 (SGT)

Dear Gert,

thank you for your enquiry.

> understanding the usage of a few variables. So I have some questions. First,
> what is the purpose of $sqlname and $dbname and what is the difference between
> them? Second, this is related to the first one: what is t he purpose of

sqlname name is the name of the mysql database you are storing things
in. dbname is the name of the biological sequence database you are
same bioperl-db mysql database, for example embl and genbank, or custom
databases like all human sequences in one db and all mouse sequences in
another.

> $dbid =
> $dbadaptor->get_BioDatabaseAdaptor->fetch_by_name_store_if_needed($dbname);

This method is given a database name, if that name is not present, then
the database gets created automatically.

Elia

--
* http://www.ebi.ac.uk/~elia *