[Bioperl-l] Help using bioperl-db

gert thijs gert.thijs@esat.kuleuven.ac.be
Fri, 09 Nov 2001 14:00:05 +0100

Hello,

I just installed bioperl-db and created a mysql database, called 'SeqDB', to
store my DNA sequences and later extract them.
Next, I have created the tables as explained in the README file:
 mysql -h bowmore -u thijs -p SeqDB < sql/basicseqdb-mysql.sql
This works fine and all tables are created.

Now, I am looking at the program 'script/load_seqdatabase.pl' to store a set
of sequences in GenBank format into the database. But I have some trouble
understanding the usage of a few variables. So I have some questions. First,
what is the purpose of $sqlname and $dbname and what is the difference between
them? Second, this is related to the first one: what is t he purpose of
$dbid =
$dbadaptor->get_BioDatabaseAdaptor->fetch_by_name_store_if_needed($dbname);

can anyone help me here.

Thanks,
Gert Thijs

--