[Bioperl-l] want to bring tools together to help small labs

Elia Stupka elia@fugu-sg.org
Mon, 5 Nov 2001 14:46:31 +0800 (SGT)

> So what I'm thinking about right now is to somehow map bioperl
> structures onto db schemas (for genbank parsers, blast parsers, etc)
> so as to use bioperl capabilities to populate a database.

> Do this sound right? Is this already done (haven't time to check
> bioperl-db yet)?

This sounds very right, and a lot of the code can be borrowed from Ensembl
for the features returned by blast to be stored in a databse. I will be
happy to look into this and help you, or write it time permitting. The
main question is wether we want to store the featurepairs symmetrically or
asimmetrycally, i.e. if the schema should be id, start end, hid, hstart,
hend, or if it should be two tables, one storing the hit id,
score,etc. and the other table with id, start, end repeated n times.

Elia

* http://www.ebi.ac.uk/~elia *
* tel:    +65 874 1467       *
* mobile: +65 90307613       *