[Bioperl-l] want to bring tools together to help small labs

Jason Eric Stajich jason@cgt.mc.duke.edu
Fri, 2 Nov 2001 10:00:58 -0500 (EST)

We have a bioperl-db that Ewan started which effectively represent a
genbank db in mysql and allow easy mapping of sequences in the DB to in
memory Bio::Seq objects.  Not clear how much different the schema is from
Ian's myGenBank but this definitely geared towards intefacing nicely with
the bioperl Bio::SeqI interface.  It is rumoured to also be used as a
local caching server for BioCORBA sequence requests at EBI for fast
relation DB access to sequences.

The GenQuire folks (Mark Wilkinson, David Block)
also have a db for curation of data and a perl/Tk interface - parts of
this are distributed in bioperl-gui.  They may be changing their schema to
play with bioperl-db more directly - not sure about that.  Rumor has it
they are moving Genquire to full open-source mode so that others can
contribute.

See the news item about bioperl-db:
http://bioperl.org/pipermail/bioperl-l/2001-April/005465.html

cvs module name is bioperl-db
see info at
http://cvs.bioperl.org on how to checkout a local copy.

This also some beginning work in there for map databases but is currently
on hold until I find some more time or get more contributors.

-jason

--
Jason Stajich
Duke University