[Bioperl-l] operator overloading: Seq->subseq & Seq->trim

Hilmar Lapp hilmarl@yahoo.com
Wed, 31 Oct 2001 21:41:02 -0800

Jason Eric Stajich wrote:

> > What are you going to do with SplitLocations?

I'd actually get all that pertain to the same sequence (you could
compare $loc->seq_id() with $seq->display_id()) and concatenate
them. Imagine a certainly not so uncommon case of a mRNA on a
genomic seq: the mRNA as a feature will have a split location, and
yep, if you ask for $genomicseq->subseq($mrna_loc) you will want
the pieces returned concatenated. If a user doesn't want it
concatenated, he would have to loop through them him/herself.
Wantarray would be more convenient, but I don't like it really
either.

	-hilmar
Hilmar Lapp                              email: hilmarl@yahoo.com
San Diego, Ca. 92130                     phone: +1 858 812 1757