[Bioperl-l] Heikki joins the core group.

Ewan Birney birney@ebi.ac.uk
Sun, 27 May 2001 11:10:26 +0100 (BST)

By a unanimous decision of the current core group (jason, hilmar, me,
chris) we have invited heikki to join the core group and he has accepted.

What does the core group do one might ask? The following things:

  (a) provide responsibility for actually making releases and collectively
doing the last set of bug fixing/documentation that noone else wants to do

  (b) provide design guidance

  (c) ok hardware purchases and legal things (chris d. is the point man
here)

  (d) provide cvs read/write access to other people who need it

  (e) present at conferences with "official" bioperl hats on

Heikki has provided a whole set of code to deal with variations; he
has made numerous across-repository trawls for documentation (pod) issues
an handled branch/main trunk divergence and finally he has helped shoulder
responsibility for core modules such as Seq (translate function) and
SimpleAlign (lots of new enhancements). I think he really deserves
recognition for this work and now has as strong a voice for the future of
bioperl code as me, jason or hilmar.

Also this means that we have another person who can feel guilty about not
releasing a sub-standard release, relieving pressure off us three at
release time ;)

ewan

<birney@ebi.ac.uk>.