[Bioperl-l] Installation (was Notification: i...)

Todd Richmond todd@andrew2.stanford.edu
Tue, 15 May 2001 17:38:58 -0700

On 5/15/01 2:51 PM, "Peter Schattner" <schattner@alum.mit.edu> wrote:

> For what it's worth, the bioperl tutorial (bptutorial.pl) has the following
> installation instructions:

<snip>

> If someone suggests wording to make these instructions clearer, I will
> gladly edit the install instructions in the tutorial.

I think the problem is that people are not going to look at the tutorial
before they install bioperl. They'll do the install, watch the tests fail,
and wonder why. Personally, I wouldn't/didn't think to go to the tutorial to
figure out why the tests were failing - I went straight to the .t files, and
then to the .pm files. Setting the directory variables should be mentioned
in the README at the root - or maybe spit out during the 'perl Makefile.PL'
phase.

The README file appears to be a bit out-of-date anyway. Part of it says:

---
BUILDING THE COMPILED EXTENSIONS
Move to the directory Compile/SW. This is where the C code and XS
extension for the bp_sw module is held and execute these commands:
---

There's no longer a Compile/SW directory is there? In fact, the compiled
extension stuff isn't even being distributed with bioperl-0.7 is it? In any
case, I don't think the directions for the compiles extensions in any way
resembles the actual steps you have to take.

--
Todd Richmond                    http://cellwall.stanford.edu/todd
Carnegie Institution             email: todd@andrew2.stanford.edu