[Bioperl-l] Re: [Bioperl-guts-l] Notification: incoming/959

Jason Stajich jason@chg.mc.duke.edu
Tue, 15 May 2001 11:04:05 -0400 (EDT)

On Thu, 10 May 2001 bioperl-bugs@bioperl.org wrote:

> Hi,
> 	I just installed bioperl on my local system which is running linux
> Mandrake 8.0 and has perl 5.6.0
>

> My make test returns with an error:

[snip]

> 1.  I have the programs tcoffee, blast, and clustalw installed in
> /usr/local/bin.  How do I get the test script to realize this?

Read the perldoc documentation for
Bio::Tools::Run::Alignment::Clustalw,
Bio::Tools::Run::Alignment::TCofee,
Bio::Tools::Run::StandAloneBlast

You need to have the following enviroment variable defined
CLUSTALDIR=path to dir containing clustal
TCOFFEEDIR=path to dir containing tcoffee
BLASTDIR=path to dir containing blastall,bl2seq, etc
BLASTDATADIR=path to dir containing blastable dbs

> 2. I went on and installed dispite this error.  I then tried to run
> examples/standaloneblast.pl, but get the following error:

you don't have the nr db installed or you do not have BLASTDATADIR env
variable defined so this will not work until then.

> [root@antigua bioperl-0.7.0]# examples/standaloneblast.pl
> Beginning MATRIX parameter-varying example...
> Performing BLAST with MATRIX = BLOSUM62
> [blastpgp] WARNING: Could not find index files for database
> /usr/local/blast/data/nr

I'm not sure why you are getting that particular error, but it appears the
standaloneblast example script is not working and needs to be fixed.  I'll
consider that bug part of this report and we'll see if it can looked at.