[Bioperl-l] EST database w/postgresql

Ewan Birney birney@ebi.ac.uk
Thu, 3 May 2001 17:51:48 +0100 (BST)

On Thu, 3 May 2001, Charles Hauser wrote:

> Greetings,
>
> I am new to the list, and to perl so please excuse my shortcommings.
> I need to set up a database (postgresql) to both manage and use for
> web queries  EST data and associated blast results, tentative gene
> and protein id's etc.  I was hoping some of you out there have done
> just this and might offer up advice for table layout, pitfalls to
> avoid etc. before I dive in.

First off - do contact Jason Staijch, if you haven't already, as he is
both at Duke and understands this area well and final is a cool guy...

Secondly - check out the bioperl-db cvs module from the anonymous cvs
server (instructions at http://cvs.bioperl.org/). This will

  (a) solve some of your problems

  (b) give you an idea how to structure code/table bindings

Thirdly - make sure you have really scoped the problem well with either
yourself (if you are doing it for yourself) or your "customers" ie - teh
people you are building it.

  - in this area I am a big proponent of Extreme Programming (XP) where
you would offer to your customers a number of options taking roughly 2/3
weeks to complete like:

   Parsing a BLAST result into a database and having a bare-bones web page
  (notice - no intiation of the BLAST stuff remotely)

Or

   Uploading an EST via the web into the database

Or

   something else you can imagine taking 2/3 weeks (honest weeks, eg not
ideal weeks when noone interrupts you and your network stays up 100% of
the time)

Let the customers choose which things to work on first -- it (a) keeps you
focused on what they want (b) involves them in the decisions about what
will work first and what second - they will get less pissed off that not
everything works first time...

Fourthly - decide if you want to implement "inside" bioperl-db or not -
this depends mainly on your comfort level with bioperl, but I would be
happy to see - for example - additional pieces of schema into bioperl-db
to provide storage of BLAST results

Finally - Do the first iteration - go back to customers and possibly this
list - and stepwise build it up.

I'm happy to help -as I am sure is Jason - on schema and code design for
new bits of code either inside bioperl-db or completely outside.

ewan