[Bioperl-l] newbie question on blast

Tania Oh tania@bic.nus.edu.sg
Fri, 23 Mar 2001 17:21:33 +0800

Hi all,

I am learning to use bioperl 6 and trying to do some local blasts.

I have a fasta file (test.txt) to blast again a small database called
ecoli.nt

below is the code:

%runParam = (
    -remote => 'local',
    -prog => 'blastp', # program name
    -database =>'ecoli.nt', # database
    -seqs => 'test.txt'
);

However, even though I say that I want to run the blast locally, I get an
error saying that
that IO::Scalar is needed for remote blast. I've pasted  the error below:

Can someone pls help?

thanks in advance,
tania

================================================== WARNING: COULDN'T LOAD
THE LWP MODULE.

   LWP (libwww-perl) is now required to run remote Blasts.
   Download it from CPAN: http://www.perl.com/CPAN/.

THE IO::Scalar MODULE.

   IO::Scalar is now required to run remote Blasts.
   This module is included in the IO-stringy collection
   from CPAN: http://www.perl.com/CPAN/.
                                                          Can't locate
IO/Scalar.pm in @INC (@INC contains: /usr/local/BioPerl/bioperl-live
/usr/local/Ensembl/ensembl-0.8.0/software/ensembl/modules )