[Bioperl-l] A wild thought...

Jason Stajich jason@chg.mc.duke.edu
Wed, 28 Feb 2001 19:41:31 -0500 (EST)

On Wed, 28 Feb 2001, Hilmar Lapp wrote:

> David Block wrote:
> >
> > I wonder if it would be useful to have an external audit of our code?  I
> > was thinking that Damian Conway of OOPerl fame is on a year long perl
> > sabbatical.  Would he like to snoop around our OO implementation and offer
> > suggestions?
> >

> In general I think external audit by someone knowledgeable will
> certainly be a benefit. On the other hand, there is a number of known
> problems and short-comings in the design, and these won't all (if any)
> be gone in 0.7. I don't want to waste anybodies, and especially not
> Damian's time with having him to pinpoint those issues we already know
> (and it wouldn't benefit us either). So, it's a good idea but in my
> feeling there's more homework for us to do before.

ditto, but at the same time it would be good to get some guidance if
indeed a complete object overhaul is needed in some cases.  Homework would
be best first and then perhaps consider asking for an audit.  In some
cases we might have to line this up well in advance though...  At
some point a clearer mission of what processes we want to capture in
bioperl should be described and a system for incorperating new directions
(microarray data formats, clustering algorithms, generic parsers, maps,
etc.) ought to be formed.  This sort of means that we would becoming a
truly mature product - hopefully enough people are up to that task
'cause it will take some work.