[Bioperl-l] Question about multiple processors/clusters w/ perl

Tomso.Daniel tomso@niehs.nih.gov
Tue, 10 Jul 2001 16:18:39 -0400

Greetings.

I've got a set of BioPerl scripts which are crunching large sets of
chromosomal data.  Current run times are are in excess of 24 hours on
a 1 Ghz machine, and I need to scale these runs up by 10 fold or so!

Running on a quad processor system doesn't influence run times, so I'm
guessing that the code is executing as a single indivisible block.

Does anyone have experience implementing some sort of parallel or
multithreaded programming under perl/bioperl to speed up execution
times on multiprocessor systems or clusters?

I'm working under RedHat Linux 7.1, BTW

Thanks!

Dan T.

--------+
Daniel J. Tomso
Laboratory of Computational Biology and Risk Analysis
National Institute of Environmental Health Sciences

(919) 541-2872                           tomso@niehs.nih.gov
--------+