[Bioperl-l] Test.pm does not ship with 5.004 patch level 4

Hilmar Lapp hlapp@gmx.net
Wed, 24 Jan 2001 10:40:53 -0800

Ewan Birney wrote:

> On Wed, 24 Jan 2001, Jason Stajich wrote:
>
> > I was hoping no one would notice... ;)
> >
> > I found this out last week then I tried to install Test.pm on a 5.00404
> > system and it won't install requires at least 5.00504.  This means our
> > test suite doesn't work under 5.00404. That is not good...
> >
> > grrrr... not wanting to back port all the Test.pm dependacies... Do we
> > have to roll our own replacement and have that be included?
> >

> <sigh>
>
> this is a potential SHOW STOPPER. time to think about this...
>
> We have to either
>
>   (a) jettison 5.00404 compatibility OR
>
>   (b) back-port test suite (sorry jason) OR
>
>   (c) roll own replacement
>
> I don't like any of these. Comments?
>
> (PS - I am not a big, huge, boy this is really making my life easier fan
> of Test.pm --- what is wrong with print "ok 2\n";. I don't need a module
> for this!)

Well, I did find the test script code more concise after migrating
to Test.pm. However, we don't use much of its functionality yet,
only rather basic things. Would it be that hard to roll our own
Test.pm version that offers just the basic things we're currently
using, maybe even by porting the original? Would make the switch
to the system module easy, once we drop 5.004 compatibility (we
won't keep that eternally, will we?)?

	Hilmar
Hilmar Lapp                                email: hlapp@gmx.net
GNF, San Diego, Ca. 92122                  phone: +1 858 812 1757