[Bioperl-l] SWISS-PROT writing

Hilmar Lapp lapp@gnf.org
Wed, 03 Jan 2001 12:33:32 -0800

Kris Boulez wrote:

> > See above. I'm not sure what we already have in the Bio::Seq::* hierarchy.
> > If there's no Swiss.pm yet and GenBank/GenPept doesn't fit well, you could
> > give Bio::Seq::Swiss.pm a start and adopt the parser to instantiate objects
> > of that class.
> >
> The only thing we have now is Bio::Seq::LargeSeq en LargePrimarySeq. Do
> you plan on having a Bio::Seq::* class for every (complex) sequence type ?

Yes, we plan to have a specialized class for every databank, for which the
attributes its entries carry are not sufficiently reflected in Bio::Seq.pm
or an already existing class under Bio::Seq::*. This enables us to free the
basic Seq object from definitions that only pertain to databanks and don't
make up the essentials of a biological sequence.

So, molecule(), division() etc will be eventually moved away from
Bio::Seq.pm. This is even in the task list for 0.7, but with a priority of
2, meaning that we want it, but we may decide to skip it this time in order
to get the release out of the door.

	Hilmar
Hilmar Lapp                            email: lapp@gnf.org