[Bioperl-l] A wild thought...

Hilmar Lapp lapp@gnf.org
Wed, 28 Feb 2001 15:07:06 -0800

David Block wrote:

> I wonder if it would be useful to have an external audit of our code?  I
> was thinking that Damian Conway of OOPerl fame is on a year long perl
> sabbatical.  Would he like to snoop around our OO implementation and offer
> suggestions?

In general I think external audit by someone knowledgeable will
certainly be a benefit. On the other hand, there is a number of known
problems and short-comings in the design, and these won't all (if any)
be gone in 0.7. I don't want to waste anybodies, and especially not
Damian's time with having him to pinpoint those issues we already know
(and it wouldn't benefit us either). So, it's a good idea but in my
feeling there's more homework for us to do before.

As for the recently formed core group, I'd appreciate if this is not
going to be the only comment, even if you totally disagree ...

	Hilmar
Hilmar Lapp                            email: lapp@gnf.org