[Bioperl-l] bug #900: Bio::SeqIO::swiss.pm - gene names

Hilmar Lapp hilmarl@yahoo.com
Wed, 28 Feb 2001 01:31:21 -0800

I think the best and straight forward approach is to allow for
multiple gene names in Bio::Annotation. I see 2 options:

1) Add add_secondary_gene_name() and each_secondary_gene_name(),
with obvious meanings.
2) Add add_gene_name() and each_gene_name(), and make gene_name()
(which already exists) deprecated (when called, returns the first
element of the array each_gene_name() returns).

I doubt that there are serious distinctions between 'primary' and
'secondary' gene names, which is why I tend to favor option 2).

Does anyone have strong views on this, or objections, or better
suggestions?

	Hilmar
Hilmar Lapp                              email: hlapp@gmx.net
GNF, San Diego, Ca. 92122                phone: +1 858 812 1757