[Bioperl-l] Installing Bioperl on Windows 98

James Gilbert jgrg@sanger.ac.uk
Tue, 18 Dec 2001 10:02:52 +0000 (GMT)

On 17 Dec 2001, Elizabeth Bowen wrote:

> Thank you very much for the discussion
> regarding the install of bioperl on Windows
> 2000.  It has been helpful in my own attempts
> to get Bioperl up and running on my computer.
>
> However, I too have run into some
> difficulties.  I am trying to install Bioperl
> on Windows 98.  I have already installed the
> latest versions of ActiveState Perl,
> File::Temp, IO::String, IO::stringy,
> XML::Writer, AcePerl, and XML::Node.  These
> seemed to install correctly (fingers crossed).
>
> Unfortunately, whenever I try to run
> Makefile.pl for XML::LibXML, I get the
> following message:
>
> running xml2-config... XML::LibXML needs libxml2 version 2.4.8 or higher
> failed

I guess it needs a shared C library (or DLL on
Windows) which you don't have.  So being able to
install XML::LibXML will depend on libxml2 being
ported to windows (if that is how ActiveState Perl
deals with these things).

	James