[Bioperl-l] Backward compatibility mode for Bio::Root::RootI

Ewan Birney birney@ebi.ac.uk
Sun, 9 Dec 2001 19:54:44 +0000 (GMT)

I basically like the split of Bio::Root::RootI interface away
from implementation, but it does give us a backward compatibility
problem.

Some (external) modules written using Bioperl - in particular large tracks
of Ensembl (say - 50 modules) - now break as they assumme that
Bio::Root::RootI new works.

There is alot of active ensembl's out there with the current code base,
and we are not going to be able to change these code bases (they are off
the stable branch of ensembl) by Janurary.

What I would like to do is reintroduce a new function to RootI (blesses an
anonymous hash) with a strong "deprecated" warning being thrown.

Jason/Lincoln/anyone else - do you think this ok?

ewan