[Bioperl-l] SeqIO::swiss.pm and Annotation::Reference

Hilmar Lapp hlapp@gmx.net
Sun, 17 Sep 2000 17:48:29 +0200

Ewan Birney wrote:

> > 3) added pubmed()
> > 4) overrode optional_id() to become an alias for pubmed()
> > 5) Fixed a bug in primary_id() that did not pass on the argument for set.
>
> I like these fixes hilmar. Whether we should think up more intricate
> models for this sort of multiple id for one database thing is open, or
> should a refrence have two dblinks - medline and pubmed (?).

For the offending entry the medline id and pubmed id are indeed
different. I suspect that both ids are simply different (for many if not
all Medline records), but refer to the same medline record. Entrez has
both pmid= (PubMed id) and uid= (Medline unique id) query options.

The speculation above clearly indicates that I'm not up-to-date with the
specs of NCBI's Medline indexing and retrieval. Does anyone know and
enlighten us?

	Hilmar
Hilmar Lapp                                email: hlapp@gmx.net
NFI Vienna, IFD/Bioinformatics             phone: +43 1 86634 631
A-1235 Vienna                                fax: +43 1 86634 727