[Bioperl-l] Bio::Tools::Blast::HTML questions

Hilmar Lapp hlapp@gmx.net
Sun, 17 Sep 2000 12:37:37 +0200

Andrew Dalke wrote:

> So the answer to your statement:
> > It seems that nobody has had the same problem, or you guy think
> > this is just not significant enough to be answered.
>
> is that it has been seen, corrected, and distributed almost 4 months
> ago, so nobody has the problem.  You need to update your distribution.
> Also, I'll bet that only 2 or 3 people ever saw the bug before it was
> fixed, so most of the people on the list really have not ever seen
> the problem and could not answer your email without spending non-trivial
> time digging through the back logs.
>
> This also means that if you are submitting a bug report, you do need
> to include the version number in which you found the problem.
>
>                     Andrew Dalke
>                     dalke@acm.org

Excellent response, Andrew, thank you. I should like to add that BioPerl
is managed and developed by volunteers only, and even those employed by
industry are not paid for BioPerl support by their employers, but instead
do BioPerl work in their freetime, like on weekends and at night. I'm
confident that I'm not the only one for whom this holds, and I'm also
confident that this in general extends to developers from academia in
just the same way.

Hence, any minute saved or spent in tracking down bug reports _does_
matter, as it will always be the freetime someone sacrifices for the sake
of BioPerl.

It is a sad fact that it seems to be necessary to let people recall this
from time to time.

	Hilmar

Hilmar Lapp                                email: hlapp@gmx.net
NFI Vienna, IFD/Bioinformatics             phone: +43 1 86634 631
A-1235 Vienna                                fax: +43 1 86634 727