[Bioperl-l] Annotation objects

Jason Stajich jason@chg.mc.duke.edu
Sun, 26 Nov 2000 21:33:58 -0500 (EST)

On Sun, 26 Nov 2000, Hilmar Lapp wrote:

> Ewan Birney wrote:
> >

> > [...]
> > Some thoughts -
> >
> >   (a) do we realy want a generic new() in Bio::Root::RootI - I would vote
> > no.
> >

> Why? Would it possibly interfere with something? If we remove it from
> there, I think we have to have a template for new modules, which also
> details how to write a proper new() . Ideally people would stick to the
> outline given there. It doesn't really ease things if everyone develops
> his own initialization structure.
>
> Having a generic new() in RootI obviously doesn't help either ... so
> there aren't probably so many reasons to keep it there. :)

We probably don't want it, as it can cause some troubles when we write
interfaces that inherit from RootI and can then be instantiated (because
of the inherited RootI) when they really shouldn't be manipulated
directly... Oops...  That is my fault.  Ewan PLEASE do refactor RootI as
much as you see fit, I hadn't had the patience and I know the
documentation in the modules is now somewhat incosistent now due to all
the changes.  Simplicity should be our aim I hope.  Once you have this
done, perhaps then we [ahem me especially] can be smarter about updating
the modules for 0.7.