[Bioperl-l] 0.7 release: documentation

Hilmar Lapp hlapp@gmx.net
Mon, 13 Nov 2000 01:43:23 -0800

Documentation, to re-iterate, is probably one of the most serious issues
regarding 0.7. I agree with Ewan that it would be best if someone
volunteers to manage this part. Brian, what do you think?

There are several points I see presently. The following list should end up
according to Brians suggestion for point 6: outline of documentation needs
(followed by assignments :-)
o Documentation of methods to at least a minimum standard. The minimum
should comprise of purpose and function, arg types, and return value. So,
any method documented less needs amendment, e.g. all those that only repeat
their name in the 'documentation' (should be possible to extract a list of
these by some intelligent procedure).
o A How-To/FAQ-type documentation: how do I achieve a particular task with
BioPerl. There appears to be consensus so far that this is supposed to go
into Wiki, so in a sense it is not strongly coupled to a BioPerl release,
but rather an ongoing project. I guess there are hundreds of people on this
list who can probably immediately contribute 10 Howto-questions off the top
of their head that caused them trouble to figure out the answer.
o Sample code. Maybe this is covered by a Howto/FAQ site within Wiki? Do we
want extensive demos in the distribution, too, and if so, can we convert
the yet-to-come Wiki pages on-the-fly into a part of the dist.?

	Hilmar

Hilmar Lapp                                email: hlapp@gmx.net
GNF, San Diego, Ca. 92122                  phone: +1 858 812 1757