[Bioperl-l] Re: translation using Bioperl

Heikki Lehvaslaiho heikki@ebi.ac.uk
Tue, 25 Jul 2000 17:20:36 +0100

Dear Jonathan,

Thanks for persisting. I learned something new. (I had to check it
with a
couple of experts before I believed!)

To summarize: The amino acid that starts a polypeptide in translation
process is always methionin, even if an alternative initiator codon is
used. That means that even when using the standard codon table, the
correct translation of the sequence 'AGT TGA ...' is 'MV...'.

I've fixed this in bioperl live and 06 CVS branches.

If you want to catch those cases where translation is NOT started by a
valid initiator codon, you can now set ->verbose to true in your
PrimarySeq object and it will warn you.

	-Heikki