[Bioperl-l] wiki

Johann Visagie johann@egenetics.com
Thu, 31 Aug 2000 10:30:01 +0200

richard sucgang phd on 2000-08-30 (Wed) at 16:20:15 -0500:

> now, jason extols the virtues of wiki, but i have had some difficulty
> locating the source website for installing wiki. Sounds great not
> just for collaborative documentation, but one step away from
> ubiquitous note taking for the wet lab side of things. I have been
> experimenting with Userland Frontier/Manila as such a tool.
>
> Could someone please point me the way to wiki-land?

Wiki is more a concept and a philosphy than a particular piece of software.
:-)  The one and only original WikiWikiWeb - which has been going for years -
can be found here:
  http://c2.com/cgi/wiki

Its purpose is the discussion of programming patterns, and it plays host to a
large and vibrant community.  One can absorb a lot of Wiki zen by just
browsing through WikiWikiWeb.

Of course, people have written clones of Wiki in just about every language
and environment you can think of.  A non-exhaustive list can be found here:
  http://c2.com/cgi/wiki?WikiWikiClones

I suppose everyone has his favourite Wiki clone.  Mine is ZWiki, since it is
a Zope product and thus integrates with the whole Zope environment, giving
you online collboration capabilities that extend far, far beyond just Wiki:
  http://joyful.com/zwiki

The original WikiWikiWeb is minimalist on purpose.  Some people, however,
feel it would be useful to extend Wiki with for example authentication,
revision control, indexing and searching, and so forth.  For a taste of a
possible Wiki future, see the WikiNG proposal which aims to create a
Wiki-like structure which may be more in line with the sort of collaboration
tool software developers may require:
  http://dev.zope.org/Wikis/DevSite/Proposals/WikiNG

You (and I'm sure the others on the list as well) may also be interested in
an *extremely* interesting discussion of online scientific collaboration by
John Udell, which touches on Wiki and many other things:
  http://software-carpentry.codesourcery.com/Groupware/report.html

-- Johann