[Bioperl-l] BOF

Jason Stajich jason@chg.mc.duke.edu
Mon, 14 Aug 2000 13:50:19 -0400 (EDT)

Welcome back Ewan. :)

My thoughts on some BOF topics.

- Inventory what are people USING bioperl for (maybe even before the BOF),
  and discuss if needs are being met.  Call this "common bioperl uses".

   + Sequence format conversion
   + genbank downloads,
   + BLAST

- What do people WANT bioperl to do?

  + Updateable Seq Databases (started as bioperl-db )
  + Annotate sequences from various reports { blast, gene prediction, ...}
  + Address other types of information?

- SeqIO: where are we going with this, do we want to redesign, I like
         BioPython's producer/consumer model, not sure how it would work
         with perl.

- Better out of the box support.

  Perhaps common functions/uses should be combined
  into a suite or an organized program that allows a user to
  do things from our list of common bioperl uses.  This provides a user
  with little computer background the ability to jump in and start doing
  simple things.

As per the Hilmar, Jason, Ewan, and others round table, my schedule is
open at this time, I'll be at BOSC & ISMB so I'm in town from Aug 17 -
23. I leave it up to Hilmar to pick day/time.

-Jason