Bioperl: Working pvm app in perl

Mr P.A. Van Heusden pvanheus@hgmp.mrc.ac.uk
Mon, 13 Sep 1999 12:57:50 +0100 (BST)

On Sat, 11 Sep 1999, Aaron J Mackey wrote:

> On Fri, 10 Sep 1999, Osborne, Brian wrote:
>
> > This is what I don't understand though. If you look in the system's include
> > files you'll see stat() in sys/stat.h. And you'll see the expected #include
> > <sys/stat.h> right there in lpvm.c. lpvm.o in libpvm3.a should work. But
> > "man stat" says stat() is unsupported, seemingly being separated into
> > fsstat, etc. These are questions for a "make master/mistress" to address,
> > not me.
>
> Interesting, my 'man stat' says nothing about being unsupported.  In fact,
> it lists all sorts of POSIX/etc conformity bonuses.  Does lpvm.c also
> include <unistd.h> ??  That could be the culprit as well ... I also have a
> feeling that we're getting some kind of symbol collision with the perl
> library - any idea what their usage of stat() is?

What does a 'ldd' of the Pvm.so show? Can you check all of the libs
mentioned by ldd by doing a 'nm' of them and grepping for 'stat'? It
should exist in one of them.

Unfortunately I don't have a Linux machine here to play with (my
testing was done on Sun Solaris 5.7).

Peter van Heusden : pvanheus@hgmp.mrc.ac.uk : PGP key available
'The demand to give up illusions about the existing state of affairs is the
demand to give up a state of affairs which needs illusions.' - Karl Marx