Bioperl: A trivial documentation question

Ewan Birney birney@sanger.ac.uk
Thu, 27 May 1999 05:18:46 +0100 (BST)

On Wed, 26 May 1999, Steve Chervitz wrote:

> D. Joe Anderson writes:
>  >
>  > >From the bioperl man page:
>  >
>  >           Bioperl was then taken up by people developing code at the
>  >           large genome centres. In particular at Stanford, Steve
>  >           Chervitz (the current bioperl coordinator), at the Genome
>  >           Sequencing Centre (St Louis) Ian Korf and at the Sanger
>  >           Centre (Cambridge UK) Ewan Birney.  All of the C code XS
>  >           extensions were provided by Ewan Birney. Bioperl is used in
>  >           anger at these sites, indicating that is both useful and
>  >           that it works.
>  >
>  >
>  > I was intrigued by the phrase "used in anger."  What does this mean?
>
> This is Ewan's phraseology for "used extensively for solving real
> world problems" as opposed to simply playing with it in a purely
> academic exercise. At least, this is what I understand him to mean by
> "used in anger". Ewan can elaborate more as necessary.

That is true. There *is* something slightly desparate in the phrasing, and
if anyone who has sat going 'oh no - I need to rewrite this analysis to
wrok on a new blast version tonight - how do I do it' i think knows
this sort of desparation (a real world example in my case..which bioperl
solved).

> One problem with using colorful language is that it can be
> misinterpreted. Here are some possible interpretations I'm sure he
> did not intend:
>
>   1. Use of bioperl caused anger towards the bioperl developers.

I think this does happen sometime...

>   2. You have to be angry or desperate before using bioperl.

I'm not sure about this...

>   3. Bioperl was used to commit random acts of violence.

But I do like this! I think the phrase should stay ;).