Bioperl: Bioperl conference

Steve Chervitz sac@neomorphic.com (Steve A. Chervitz)
Wed, 27 Jan 1999 04:29:01 -0800 (PST)

Ewan Birney writes:

 > On Tue, 26 Jan 1999, J. H. Park wrote:
 >
 > > Hi Ewan,
 > >
 > > As a lot of people seem to be interested in Bioperl and perl
 > > for biology in general, how about organizing a small
 > > conference specifically for Biological Perl so that people
 > > can debate, contribute, day-dream about the future, exchange
 > > ideas and codes etc. It will be fun and informative.
 > > What do you think?
 > >

 > I think getting together is great news. I think the obvious thing
 > is to piggy-back another conference - in particular I am thinking
 > about ISMB. I don't know if anyone has started to seriously organise
 > that (does someone want to step forward?) but I guess we would be
 > looking to do something a little more structured than at the last ISMB,
 > though I don't think very structured.

It is likely too late to submit an official tutorial/workshop for ISMB.
Abstracts were due 10 Jan 99; full proposals are due 5 Feb 99. I think
a more informal hands-on, how-to session would be useful. Georg
Fuellen mentioned the possibility to one of the ISMB-99 organizers,
but I don't know if he submitted anything officially.

If you guys want to get something together collaboratively and submit
before 5 Feb, I'd be willing to help out.

Steve Chervitz
sac@neomorphic.com