Bioperl: is there a $hit->db method in Blast module?

Catherine Letondal letondal@pasteur.fr
Tue, 17 Nov 1998 12:25:04 +0100

Steve Chervitz writes:
> Catherine,
>
> The database for the hit (subject) sequence can be obtained using the
> database() method on the hit object:
>
>    $db = $hit->database();
>
> The database identifier can be obtained using the name() method, which
> is inherited from Bio::Root::Object.pm.
>
>    $id = $hit->name();
>
> If there are multiple identifiers, as in your example, they will be
> supplied as "P52607/FLII_BORBU".
>
> This is not as well-documented as it should be. Apologies for the
> confusion. There are a few issues with the handling of identifiers
> that will be addressed with the next release.

Thanks. I have put a perl script using this feature as "sequence/entry extractor"
from a Blast run by the Web (http://bioweb.pasteur.fr/seqanal/blast/intro-uk.html)
(and directly : http://www-bioweb.pasteur.fr/seqanal/interfaces/seqsblast.html)

The script is very simple, but if someone is interested, I can put it somewhere.

--
Catherine Letondal -- letondal@pasteur.fr -- +33 (1) 40 61 31 91