Bioperl: CORBA stuff

Ewan Birney birney@sanger.ac.uk
Fri, 31 Jul 1998 12:15:41 +0100 (BST)

This was different enough to warrant a separate email:

After OiB there is a meeting of the Life Sciences Research
task force from OMG - which is the official stamping body
of CORBA stuff.

You can read more about it at

lsr.ebi.ac.uk

I'm part of the EBI response to the 'request for proposals'
(despite being at the Sanger centre...) which is providing
some analysis frame work idls (an idl => object definition)
and some standard bioobjects.

I'm saying that bioperl fits in very neatly as perfect client
implementations of these things (in fact the impedence mismatch
looks minimal because they are suggesting a similar set of
core objects as bioperl --- I guess this is not unrelated to
the fact that I was saying that's what we should have...)

I'll post here again when we know more about what we are going to
do, but I thought people would like to know.

who else will be around in OiB?

Ewan Birney
<birney@sanger.ac.uk>
http://www.sanger.ac.uk/Users/birney/