Bioperl: "port" to NT

Gunther Birznieks gunther@extropia.com
Fri, 11 Dec 1998 17:15:10 -0500

At 01:55 PM 12/11/98 -0800, greg heil wrote:
>Gunther Birznieks wrote:
>
>> Why 5.003?  I thought that the latest ActiveState port is at
> 5.005_02 and comes with the POSIX.pm.   If you used this, maybe
> you wouldn't have to worry about changing the behavior of some
> of the "pure" Perl modules so much?
>
>i can confirm the ActiveState/Posix, at least as of release 507.
>
>The 5.003 part, as i understand it, is to get a _least_ common
>denominator... So folks in big IS depts would not have to bug
>powers that be to upgrade their Perl;)

Hmm. That idea is commendable.

But isn't that a different goal than doing an NT-port?  Perhaps I am
missing something but it seems to me that by that logic,
one might as well tell people not to bug their UNIX admin to upgrade
Perl 5.003 for UNIX either. Instead, just start distributing instructions with
Bioperl for running on older versions of Perl in general.

In addition, the mechanism for manually placing the Bio hierarchy in
C:\PERL\LIB
kind of requires pretty intrusive access to the NT Box anyway.

It's not that much more intrusive to require upgrading
to a more recent version of NT Perl especially when the install for
ActiveState
Perl is GUI-based these days.