[Biojava-dev] Wiki status

Jose Duarte jose.duarte at rcsb.org
Fri Mar 11 17:33:03 UTC 2016

Thank you so much Spencer, great work!

> Poll:
> Would it be acceptable to require a google account for login?

Absolutely acceptable. After all, google (together with yahoo) was the only
way to login in the last couple of years or so.

> Would it be acceptable to abandon all the existing users and make everyone
> create a new one?

That should be fine too, anyway people haven't been able to log in for
quite some time so abandoning the old usernames should not be a major pain.
My personal experience is that over the years I've had to create something
like 3 mediawiki accounts, 2 yahoo accounts and 1 google login in
biojava.org. All of them stopped working for some reason or another. Having
something that works and allows new accounts to be created is much better
than the current situation where we can't log in.

In any case this is a temporary solution, the longer term plan is to move
away from mediawiki and to use markdown and github infrastructure, as
Andreas pointed out earlier.

Jose