[Biojava-dev] Maintainer for Blast parser

Andreas Prlic andreas at sdsc.edu
Sat Aug 24 01:21:27 UTC 2013

Hi Ahmed,

Thanks for volunteering! Over the last years we have usually recommended
people to create XML files with blast and use their favorite XML parsing
library to extract the information they want out of that. However there was
also a lot of interest in BioJava providing a parser for Blast, as such it
would not hurt to have one, if it can be maintained easily. One of the
challenges with parsing the text output of Blast is that it changes over
time and between different blast versions. There are also sever types of
blast searches, which need to be supported.

If you are interested in providing a blast framework, a first start would
be to fork biojava on github and explore how a blast parsing framework
could fit in. We should probably discuss your plans, before you start
coding... Also worth to take a look is what we already have in the module
for remote web service calls...

Thanks,

Andreas

On Thu, Aug 22, 2013 at 2:05 AM, ahmed laby <laby.ahmed at gmail.com> wrote:

> Dears,
>
> As per the Bio-Java Maintainers Wanted
> page<http://biojava.org/wiki/Maintainers_wanted> ,
> I would like to apply as a maintainer for Blast parser sub-package.
>
> With my undergraduate studies, research background, work experience,
> creative problem solving and exceptional analytical skills I believe I
> could make a great contribution to Bio-Java development team in this
> position.
>

> Have a Great day!
>
> Sincerely,
>
> *Ahmed Labi *|* *Software Engineer
> *
>
> Mobile -* +20111-8560818
>  *or *
> +96653-0858144
> *
>
> Skype
>
> -* ahmed-labi
> *Email
>
> -* laby.ahmed at gmail.com
> *Linkedin
>
> - *http://eg.linkedin.com/in/prolabi

Dr. Andreas Prlic
Senior Scientist, RCSB PDB Protein Data Bank
University of California, San Diego
(+1) 858.246.0526