[Biojava-dev] graphics code and more in biojava

Scooter Willis HWillis at scripps.edu
Wed Aug 31 12:41:05 UTC 2011

Johan

You should organize your code by functional distinct modules which allows
Biojava to be a collection of libraries. We are following the apache
commons model. http://commons.apache.org/ The goal is to allow other
developers to have a minimal set of jars to add needed functionality. If
you need a way to view a sequence that should not force the inclusion of
15 different jars. We encourage the use of the biojava core module for
classes to represent "core" data objects that can then be passed around to
other modules. However, if you can accomplish what needs to be
accomplished with a String then even better. If you want to avoid code to
check for correctness of a protein string as an example then using
ProteinSequence will accomplish that.

Can you provide some GUI screen shots of what you currently have. This is
an area that needs work in BioJava. I ported over some of the Biojava 1.7
Sequence Viewer code over to BioJava 3 and was able to maintain the
ability to have custom feature renderers without making it overly
complicated. I need to put some cookbook examples up.

Thanks

Scooter