[Biojava-dev] biojava3-core release candidate

Andreas Prlic andreas at sdsc.edu
Fri Oct 22 20:23:40 UTC 2010

> - when you do a real release I think the parent shouldn't be a snapshot version...

I agree. If you get a SVN checkout you will always be on the trunk
which will by definition will be a snapshot version. If you check out
a tagged version ( e.g. biojava-live/tags/biojava3.0-alpha2/ ), you
can see that this "release" is not having any snapshot tag. I hope
this is according to your expectation.

> I think using a parent pom dependency can be a bit problematic - we usually do the same thing and run into various problems. I wonder whether it is better to separate out the modularisation architecture (directory structure) from the pom attributes that need to be inherited in the modules, and put them in a pom project at the same level as the children. The maven documentation suggests that you should then reference the parent by a relative path - but if it is itself a module in the project, that doesn't appear to be necessary..

to be honest, this sounds even more complicated. I set up the
parent-subproject organisation is according to the recommendations
from the Maven site... Not too many problems so far (sometimes in an
IDE I have to do a full build/install but that seems not too bad for
me)  What sort of problems did you have with it?

> Its worth remembering that the 'module' pom can of course be any where - it doesn't have to be in a a parent directory as the modules can be referenced by relative links

We also have independent project in biojava-svn which are based on the
new maven modules but follow their own release cycle. They reference
biojava with particular versions, not with paths.

> Regarding SVN
> -------------
>
> I managed to pull down the svn repo from github today - albeit with an error code at the end

hm. I just noticed that the web-svn browsing got disabled as an
attempt to see if this is the cause for the failures on the anonymous
SVN server side... Hope that somebody at OBF will be able to find the
cause soon... In any case, we should contemplate moving to git after
3.0 is out...

Andreas

Dr. Andreas Prlic
Senior Scientist, RCSB PDB Protein Data Bank
University of California, San Diego
(+1) 858.246.0526