[Biojava-dev] Direct access to public genome databases

Charles Danko dankoc at gmail.com
Thu Jan 24 20:17:38 UTC 2008

DAS looks just wonderful, and I am very glad to be made aware of it –
it seems like a much better solution than my initial, highly naive
reaction (accessing public SQL connections).

As I understand it, the easiest way to access DAS services in Java is
via an API such as JAX-WS?   Jumping into the Javadocs, and looking
over a JAX-WS tutorial that I found here:
http://java.sun.com/webservices/docs/2.0/tutorial/doc/ it looks there
is a lot to this.

In this sense, a BioJava class that that takes care of much of the
connecting, data transfer, and parsing would be a welcome convenience
for users not already familiar with this API (like me :).  Even for
those who are well-versed in all of this, such a class would allow DB
access with a lot less code.  Given the frequency that most of us
accesses these public databases, this seems like a worthy goal to me!!

Since its so easy to understand the basics of constructing a DAS
request URL, even something as simple as a class that takes a
pre-formed URL (in the constructor) and acts as an iterator over
whatever information is in the result, would be very useful.

Best,
Charles