[Biojava-dev] [Fwd: BioJava 3 Proposal]

Michael Heuer heuermh at acm.org
Thu Nov 1 03:35:38 UTC 2007

Hello Richard,

I'm not sure if I want any of this up on the wiki, but here are a few
of my thoughts...

Immutable classes, not beans, are the safest and most efficient.

Statements like "We would adhere rigidly to a common coding style and
heavily comment the code." only work if there is a way to measure and
enforce it.  A better way to say this would be something like "All
committed code must have zero style errors as measured by Checkstyle with
our local checkstyle configuration, have zero coding errors as measured by
FindBugs with our local findbugs configuration, have 95% unit test
coverage as measured by Cobertura", and so on.

Sequence features aught to align with the Sequence Ontology (SO/SOFA).
The two top-level sequence feature types are Region (SO:0000001, "A
sequence_feature with an extent greater than zero.") and Junction
(SO:0000699, "A sequence_feature with an extent of zero.").

Is there a role for biojava in any of

Ontologies in OBO format
Ontologies in OWL format
BioPAX
MAGE-ML/SOFT/MINiML
FuGO/OBI
SMBL/CellML
Web services/BioMoby
etc.

or is each best handled by their respective projects/tools?

   michael