[Biojava-dev] DOM, JDom, Xerces?

Andy Yates ayates at ebi.ac.uk
Mon May 14 16:11:16 UTC 2007

Hi Mark,

I've not used Saxon before but from what I can take from the docs it
seems quite nice. However if anyone is going to do some XML
processing give it a go. Recently I used XOM's document builder and I
have to say that I wrote the majority without a need to consult XOM's
documentation (the only bit I needed was figuring out how to print a
pretty XML file out). It's very powerful & very easy to read in code.

Also if you fancy having a look at some newer technologies Groovy has
some very nice ways of parsing and generating XML. Documentation is a
bit sparse in places but once you're in the groovy mindset (or bought
the book) it's fine (and to be honest the Groovy builder objects are
worth the pain). I'm moving most of my scripting to it now; it's like
programming in Perl but with the comfort of knowing that you're in
Java and can jump out into Java classes whenever you want ... like
BioJava ;)

Andy