[Biojava-dev] JDBCPooledDataSource regression

Thomas Down td2 at sanger.ac.uk
Wed Jan 31 12:50:23 UTC 2007

On 31 Jan 2007, at 12:28, Andy Yates wrote:

>> Hmmm, I was assuming that BasicDataSource didn't actually do any
>> pooling
>> itself, and that you needed another layer on top to manage a
>> connection
>> pool -- that seems to be how all previous revisions of
>> JDBCConnectionPool worked, so I guess I wasn't alone in thinking
>> this.
>> But yes, BasicDataSource does seem to do pooling itself (confirmed by
>> reading the source), so maybe your simpler version is a better
>> idea.  It
>> certainly works okay for me.
>>
>>            Thomas.
>
> That's what I thought should have happened :). Can I suggest that this
> revised version goes into CVS? Anyone got any objections?

The one problem I can think of is that this might break any code
which relies on DataSource objects having reliable hashCode/equals.
I've found one place where this might be a problem, in
OntologySQL.getOntologySQL.  That's a deprecated class, so maybe it's
not a big issue -- but it might be worth asking around.

           Thomas.