[Biojava-dev] JDBCPooledDataSource regression

Thomas Down td2 at sanger.ac.uk
Wed Jan 31 12:21:10 UTC 2007

On 31 Jan 2007, at 12:06, Andy Yates wrote:

> Hi,
>
> Sorry I was meaning if that if that method just becomes:
>
> public static DataSource getDataSource(final String driver,
>                                          final String url,
>                                          final String user,
>                                          final String pass)
>     throws Exception {
>
>     BasicDataSource ds = new BasicDataSource();
>     ds.setUrl(url);
>     ds.setDriverClassName(driver);
>     ds.setUsername(user);
>     ds.setPassword(pass);
>     // Set BasicDataSource properties such as maxActive and
> maxIdle, as described in
>     // http://jakarta.apache.org/commons/dbcp/api/org/apache/
> commons/dbcp/BasicDataSource.html
>     ds.setMaxActive(10);
>     ds.setMaxIdle(5);
>     ds.setMaxWait(10000);
>
>     return ds;
>   }
>
> Does that still work?

Hmmm, I was assuming that BasicDataSource didn't actually do any
pooling itself, and that you needed another layer on top to manage a
connection pool -- that seems to be how all previous revisions of
JDBCConnectionPool worked, so I guess I wasn't alone in thinking
this.  But yes, BasicDataSource does seem to do pooling itself
(confirmed by reading the source), so maybe your simpler version is a
better idea.  It certainly works okay for me.

            Thomas.