[Biojava-dev] phylo code

Thasso Griebel thasso at minet.uni-jena.de
Mon Aug 6 16:45:35 UTC 2007

Hi,

thanks for the fast answer.

So, I would really like to contribute to the BioJava Phylogeny
Package, but I will wait until the GSOC project is finished and I am
back from my vacation ;) For now, I just took a look on the io
package, especially the three classes concerning phylip io.
Some personal feeling about the naming.
I wouldn't mention "fire" and "events" in the documentation and
rename PHYLIPFileListener to something else, i.e. PHYLIPFileHandler.
For me, this was irritating. I started looking for a fireXXX method
immediately and automatically started  thinking about the
EventDispatchingThread and synchronization. As far as I see, this is
a direct handler delegate, the parser delegates some method calls to
a given handler callback method, no events are fired (there is not
even an Event class that could be fired) and no event dispatching is
involved.
Also, the io seem to focus on the output of alignment. What about
trees and distance/character matrices ?
And a really important point is the name handling. The method

  private static String formatSequenceLabel(String label)

in PHYLIPFileFormat simply cuts names that are longer than 10
characters. I know that phylip has this stupid  limitation. But
cutting will not work in a lot of cases. If just two sequence names
are identical over the first ten characters,  the resulting phylip
file is corrupted and can not be used by most of the phylip
executables. Maybe the handler can do a renaming and keep track of
the map. Then one can use the parser to write some phylip file, start
a phylip method on that file, read in the results and do an automatic
remapping of the names ?

I also wanted to take a look on the tree model. Is this already in
the CVS ? I found biojava-live/src/org/biojavax/bio/phylo/tree, but
it was empty ?

regards,

thasso