[Biojava-dev] retrieving species (common name)

Hubert Prielinger hubert.prielinger at gmx.at
Fri Jun 9 20:51:11 UTC 2006

hi,
sorry for replying that late,
I have XML blast outputs, which you can retrieve information like
accession id, protein name, length of sequnence aso....
but there is no possibility to retrieve the taxonomy (especially the
scientific name or common name)
I need the common and scientific name from each blast hit. I have found
in biojava-live/src/org/biojava/bibliography/taxa  a few code examples
that could suit my
task (e.g: simpleTaxon.java)

eg: I have the accession id: YPOL_IBDVS
and I want to get the taxonomy of that protein, not neccessarily the
entire taxonomy but mentioned above scientific and common name.
and I don't know exactly how to get the taxonomy, it seems that there is
no directly way from the accession id, but over the taxon id, but I
don't know how to get that either.....
it must be possible to map the accession id to the taxon id and then
request with the taxon id the taxonomy, if I get it right.....

thanks in advance
regards
Hubert