[Biojava-dev] SymbolListFactory

David Huen smh1008 at cus.cam.ac.uk
Thu Jul 17 02:03:50 EDT 2003

On Thu, 17 Jul 2003, Schreiber, Mark wrote:

> Hi -
>
> I'm writing some code that needs a SymbolListFactory. I'm wondering, at
> what SymbolList size is it more efficient to use the
> PackedSymbolListFactory?

The packed form is slower and the speed degradation is CPU speed
dependent.  As such the automatic switchover was set pretty high given the
typical machine today has a fair bit of RAM although |I can't recall the
setting.  I'm not even sure whether that threshold is optimal - more of a
guess at an acceptable threshold that would allow handling entire genomes
in memory without speed loss at smaller sizes.

D.H.