[Biojava-dev] java docs

Keith James kdj@sanger.ac.uk
30 Sep 2002 10:02:42 +0100

>>>>> "Mark" == Schreiber, Mark <mark.schreiber@agresearch.co.nz> writes:

    Mark> What are the illegal tags?

They are not usually illegal tags per se. I think most of the warnings
come from the difference in parsing the legal text (see
http://java.sun.com/j2se/1.4/docs/tooldocs/javadoc/whatsnew-1.4.html)

e.g. first sentences:

* Old algorithm - Stops at a period followed by a space or a
  paragraph-level HTML tag, such as <P>.

* New algorithm - Stops at a period, question mark or exclamation mark
  followed by a space if the next word starts with a capital
  letter. This is meant to handle most abbreviations (such as "Serial
  no. is valid", but won't handle "Mr. Smith"). Won't stop at HTML
  tags or sentences that begin with numbers or symbols.

If I remember correctly, the new Javadoc warns where the result of
these two would be different. The warnings are thus mostly harmless -
the worst case would be that the "one liner" description of a class or
method won't read correctly.

Keith

--

- Keith James <kdj@sanger.ac.uk> bioinformatics programming support -
- Pathogen Sequencing Unit, The Wellcome Trust Sanger Institute, UK -