[Bio-packaging] Making the case for GNU Guix ... advice sought

Ludovic Courtès ludo at gnu.org
Sun Feb 28 13:52:28 UTC 2016

"Cook, Malcolm" <MEC at stowers.org> skribis:

> What is not clear to me is whether bash is assumed elsewhere in guix.... for instance, the fact that
>
> 	guix package --search-paths
>
> reports environment variables in bash syntax.

In practice it’s almost plain Bourne shell syntax.  I think the only
“Bashism” is the mixed assignment and export (“export VAR=value”), which
is supported by most Bourne-compatible shells I believe (Dash being an
exception.)

> Any insights here?

The ‘etc/profile’ file that is created within profiles, such as
~/.guix-profile/etc/profile, uses the same syntax as above.

I don’t think there are other places in the user interfaces where Bash
is expected.

Thanks,
Ludo’.