[Bio-packaging] Using a shared Guix store (was RE: testing out guix)

Ludovic Courtès ludo at gnu.org
Fri Jun 19 11:34:13 UTC 2015

Ricardo Wurmus <ricardo.wurmus at mdc-berlin.de> skribis:

> Something like that has been suggested before: if the daemon were to
> accept authenticated connections from the outside rather than to just
> listen on a local socket we could have remote guix clients connecting to
> the central daemon.

[...]

> Ultimately, the correct fix is to allow remote guix clients to
> communicate with a central guix daemon.  The daemon does not even need
> to be aware of remote connections if guix clients can transparently
> connect via SSH and send RPCs to the socket.  This is not yet
> implemented.

This could be either SSH or a plain direct connection, which is
acceptable on a LAN.

A simple way to test the latter is with ‘socat’, something along the
lines of what I described at:

  https://lists.gnu.org/archive/html/guix-devel/2015-02/msg00680.html

It would be great if you could check whether something like this works
for you.

Then we could also have built-in support for that in the daemon and
clients, so that it’s more convenient.

Thanks,
Ludo’.