[Bio-packaging] Packaging

Pjotr Prins pjotr.public66 at thebird.nl
Mon Jun 8 10:52:46 UTC 2015

On Mon, Jun 08, 2015 at 06:22:11AM -0400, Brad Chapman wrote:
> If that takes off then we can do any sort of package
> management we want inside the container and will not need to worry about
> root installation.

BTW Nix (on which Guix is based) actually allows building and
installing software in $HOME without root privileges. I did part of
this writeup

  https://nixos.org/wiki/How_to_install_nix_in_home_%28on_another_distribution%29

when I needed it.

Guix will probably allow non-root installs at some point. It is not
rocket science because Guix can build without being a daemon and the
store dir can be configured at build time.  Just set it to $HOME.

The main downside of this approach is that it is hard to share
installs, because the store dir is part of the calculated SHA value.
But building from source and distributing those builds for single
users to the same paths is (close to) feasible.

Pj.