[Bio-packaging] testing out guix

Ricardo Wurmus ricardo.wurmus at mdc-berlin.de
Mon Jun 8 10:14:33 UTC 2015

Ben Woodcroft <b.woodcroft at uq.edu.au> writes:

> I managed to get further now, I think. But not quite there yet.
>
> ben at u:~/git/OrfM$ GUIX_PACKAGE_PATH=/home/ben/guix/ guix package -i orfm
> --no-substitutes

BTW: you don't need to specify "--no-substitutes".  If no substitute can
be found it's going to be built locally anyway.

> warning: failed to install locale: Invalid argument
> guix package: error: ben/packages/my.scm:8:2: package `orfm-0.3.0' has
> an invalid input: ("zlib" #<<license> name: "Zlib" uri:
> "http://www.gzip.org/zlib/zlib_license.html" comment:
> "https://www.gnu.org/licenses/license-list#ZLib">)
>
> Package file (~/guix/ben/packages/my.scm):
> (define-module (ben packages my)
>    #:use-module (guix packages)
>    #:use-module (guix download)
>    #:use-module (guix build-system gnu)
>    #:use-module (guix licenses))

You need to "use" the module (gnu packages compression) which contains
the definition of the "zlib" variable.

Also, "zlib" is also the name of a license, which is why you get this
error message.  I suggest changing the module definition thus

     (define-module (ben packages my)
        #:use-module (guix packages)
        #:use-module (guix download)
        #:use-module (guix build-system gnu)
        #:use-module ((guix licenses) #:prefix license:)
        #:use-module (gnu packages compression))

And then you change

    (license lgpl3+)

in your recipe to

    (license license:lgpl3+)

Note that you'll have to "use" any modules containing package
definitions your recipe depends on.  For some inspiration feel free to
check out the bioinformatics.scm module:

    http://git.savannah.gnu.org/cgit/guix.git/tree/gnu/packages/bioinformatics.scm

I often don't even have to think about how to solve problems in
packaging anymore; I just grep the sources and find the snippet or
expression I need there.

~~ Ricardo