[Bio-packaging] Guix rubygem builder

Pjotr Prins pjotr.public66 at thebird.nl
Thu Aug 13 12:07:49 UTC 2015

After holiday recess we are picking up the pace again.

Today I took one of my own gems and removed all references to rvm,
bundler and jeweler (they all mess with the dependency chain!). Only
using GNU Guix, and the Guix installed gem tool, all rspec and
Cucumber tests passed :)

Next I prepared it for Travis CI and that passes too (both with and
without bundler). Here is the bundler version

  https://travis-ci.org/pjotrp/bioruby-vcf

So, in short, I am developing and testing on my machine without
rvm+bundler. And Travis does use the latter. So, essentially, I am
testing both. Great for end users. And the whole thing has become a
lot leaner and cleaner to handle.

Now, what I need to do is:

1. Add more gems to GNU Guix so I don't do local gem installs
2. Add GNU Guix to Travis CI so I can test with that too
3. Create a [Guix test passed|fail] icon service which we can hook into
   documentation

GNU Guix (naturally) does CI. For example for Ruby 2.2.2

  http://hydra.gnu.org/job/gnu/master/ruby-2.2.2.x86_64-linux/all

includes latest status and build (raw) log (and dependency graph).

Pj.